*Full day kindergarten is tuition-based and requires a $200 deposit.
PARENT COMMUNICATIONS FOR INCOMING KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS!
1. WELCOME to KINDERGARTEN March 2022 Parent Letter - LINK 2. KICK-OFF to KINDERGARTEN April 2022 Parent Letter - LINK *contains slideshow of information, videos, tours, and links for us to collect information about your child! 3. KINDERGARTEN READINESS ACTIVITIES FOR THE SUMMER - LINK!
Upcoming Important Dates:
August 5: Class/Teacher Assignments Emailed and Posted in Infinite Campus!
Sign Up for Kindergarten Screening Day/Time - email sign up sent to you
August 16: Kindergarten Parent Orientation, 5:30pm. (students do not attend)
August 17, 18, 19: Kindergarten Student Orientation and Screening.
August 23 (Tuesday): First Day of Kindergarten at Gurney Elementary School!!!
In the Chagrin Falls Exempted Village School District, students are age-appropriate for kindergarten
if they turn 5 on or before August 1st of the school year they intend to start.
Gurney Elementary School Kindergarten Hours (in a non-pandemic year)
Full Day Kindergarten
8:25 am - 3:20 pm
2022-2023 Half Day Kindergarten
*If half-day kindergarten numbers are very low,
those half-day students will be placed into a full day class in the afternoon.
HALF DAY KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM - There is no charge for Half Day Kindergarten
- Transportation is provided
- Opening class meeting (i.e. greeting, calendar, activity)
- Whole group instruction in literacy and math
- Social studies, science, technology integrated into classroom instruction
- 30 minute Encore (specialty area class) daily: art, music, Spanish, STEM, physical education, and library each 1 time every 6 days
The half day kindergarten curriculum is the same core curriculum covered in the full day kindergarten program.
FULL DAY KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM - Tuition Based
The deadline to reserve a spot in a full-day kindergarten class is May 13th!
In addition to the half day components listed above, the full day provides...
- Recess, lunch, rest time
- Extended time in literacy and math for remediation, extension, enrichment through small group and/or direct instruction
- Social studies/science extension through direct instruction and hands-on activities
- Extended, direct instruction in technology
- Additional time in Encore classes, field trips, assemblies
What are the benefits of a full-day program? Time. More time allows teachers to remediate or enrich using a wider variety of "best practice" teaching strategies such as: cooperative learning, small group instruction, mixed ability groupings, self-initiated learning, a greater amount of 1:1 student to teacher interaction, and larger blocks of time for instruction.
The $2890 tuition for the full day kindergarten program is used to offset the cost of staffing, facilities, and supplies/equipment.
A $200 nonrefundable deposit is required when registering your child for full day kindergarten. The balance of the tuition is requested in August. If the balance is not paid in full by mid-year, the student may be withdrawn and placed in the half day kindergarten class. Payment can be made in cash or by check. Checks can be made payable to Chagrin Falls Board of Education.
Students who qualify for a free/reduced lunch under the federal lunch program will receive a modified tuition based on a sliding scale. You will receive more information on this at registration.
CLICK HERE for Mrs. Cohen's OT Corner... with many activities to increase fine motor, visual motor, and gross motor skills; visual perception, handwriting, and other fun activities to do with your child.