*Starting with the 2021-2022 school year, to be eligible to attend kindergarten in Chagrin Falls Exempted Village School District, a child must turn age 5 on or before August 1st.
All About My Child Form - Parents/Guardians Please complete for 2020-2021 Kindergarten Students.
Provide Information - Copy and send this link to your child's preschool teacher to provide Gurney Kindergarten Teachers with valuable information: https://forms.gle/1ijhzZ3qCWAemx4M8
Kindergarten 2020-21 Summer Read Aloud Site - A new story every Monday! Have your child post to our Padlet after the story each week so we can know him/her and they can see their new classmates!
Information provided below was pre-COVID19. See School and District main webpages for updated information related to school re-opening for 2020-2021.
Gurney Elementary School Kindergarten Hours
Full Day Kindergarten
8:25 am - 3:20 pm
Half Day Kindergarten
AM - 8:25 am - 11:10 am PM - 12:35 pm - 3:20 pm
*If half-day kindergarten numbers are very low,
those half-day students will be placed into a full day class in the afternoon.
HALF DAY KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM - There is no charge for Half Day Kindergarten
- Transportation is provided
- Opening class meeting (i.e. greeting, calendar, activity)
- Whole group instruction in literacy and math
- Social studies, science, technology integrated into classroom instruction
- 30 minute Encore (specialty area class) daily: art, music, Spanish, STEM, physical education, and library each 1 time every 6 days
The half day kindergarten curriculum is the same core curriculum covered in the full day kindergarten program.
FULL DAY KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM - Tuition Based
In addition to the half day components listed above, the full day provides...
- Recess, lunch, rest time
- Extended time in literacy and math for remediation, extension, enrichment through small group and/or direct instruction
- Social studies/science extension through direct instruction and hands-on activities
- Extended, direct instruction in technology
- Additional time in Encore classes, field trips, assemblies
What are the benefits of a full-day program? Time. More time allows teachers to remediate or enrich using a wider varitey of "best practice" teaching strategies such as: cooperative learning, small group instruction, mixed ability groupings, self-initiated learning, a greater amount of 1:1 student to teacher interaction, and larger blocks of time for instruction.
The $2890 tuition for the full day kindergarten program is used to offset the cost of staffing, facilities, and supplies/equipment.
A $200 nonrefundable deposit is required when registering your child for full day kindergarten. The balance of the tuition is requested in August. If the balance is not paid in full by mid-year, the student may be withdrawn and placed in the half day kindergarten class. Payment can be made in cash or by check. Checks can be made payable to Chagrin Falls Board of Education.
Students who qualify for a free/reduced lunch under the federal lunch program will receive a modified tuition based on a sliding scale. You will receive more information on this at registration.
The deadline to reserve a spot in a full-day kindergarten class is May 8th, 2020!